Help support local food banks through Virtual Stuff the Bus. https://www.volunteerfairfax.org/home/stuff-the-bus-virtual-food-drive/ Monetary donations allow organizations to distribute more food, feed diverse communities, provide fresh food, and keep shelves stocked when donations are low. Here are five reasons to donate virtually:
* More Meals – Nonprofits can turn a donated dollar into more meals by purchasing food in bulk or through special discounts from retailers.
* Feeding Diverse Communities – Monetary donations allow pantries to purchase culturally appropriate foods, which better meet the needs of the diverse communities they serve.
* Fresh Food – Canned and dry food are a vital part of food pantries, but a healthy diet also requires fresh fruit and vegetables, low-fat dairy products and lean proteins – items that can’t be collected through food drives.
* Less Labor – Nonprofits often rely on the work of volunteers to sort and shelve donations.
* Hunger Never Takes a Break – Having cash on hand helps food pantries keep their shelves stocked during times of the year when donations drop off.