September 5, 2012
Lisa Friedrich Becker and Manuel Pablo, of the Upper Pohick Community League, at the original front entrance of the one-story historic Sydenstricker Schoolhouse. Built in 1928, the “Little Red Schoolhouse” in the Hall's Corner area of Springfield was used as a Fairfax County school until 1939. The league has launched an effort to preserve the schoolhouse.
Stories this photo appears in:
Springfield one-room schoolhouse gains historic status on National Register.
Nearly four years after deciding to shut down the popular elementary school because of shrinking enrollment, mounting parental pressure and ardent emotional appeals swayed Fairfax County’s School Board to re-open the rural community school.