September 18, 2012
From left, Herndon Council Member C. Melissa Jonas, Bob Walker, chair of the Architectural Review, Herndon Mayor Lisa C. Merkel, and Herndon Heritage Preservation Review Board Chair Cari Lyn Pierce. The mayor's 4-year-old daughter, Lila, declined to pose for the camera, but kept herself quite busy during the historic house move.
Stories this photo appears in:
No one seems to know exactly when the old white farmhouse at 820 Monroe Street in Herndon was built, or who the first owners might have been, although it’s rumored that it was originally built as a summer home for a DC resident. Ninety-three-year-old Carl Payne is the last private owner. He bought the place from the Yount family, who had owned it, and about 50 acres of present day Herndon, since 1861.