Photo detail

Alberta and Carl Payne wait for the house move to begin. Carl Payne lived in the house at 820 Monroe for more than 37 years.

Stories this photo appears in:

Tease photo

History on the Move in Herndon

No one seems to know exactly when the old white farmhouse at 820 Monroe Street in Herndon was built, or who the first owners might have been, although it’s rumored that it was originally built as a summer home for a DC resident. Ninety-three-year-old Carl Payne is the last private owner. He bought the place from the Yount family, who had owned it, and about 50 acres of present day Herndon, since 1861.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment