Candle Causes Lorton House Fire

Candle Causes Lorton House Fire

Neighbor rescues family minutes before home collapses.

— A neighbor rescued two women, one juvenile and a dog from a house fire Saturday, April 7, in Lorton, minutes before the home collapsed, according to officials with the Fairfax County Fire Department. The cause of the blaze was an unattended candle.

Around 5 p.m., Fairfax County Fire and Rescue responded to a house fire at 9204 Forest Greens Drive in Lorton. Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the entire two-story home upon arrival. The Incident Commander struck a second alarm, bringing more than 60 firefighters to the fire scene.

A neighbor called 911 around 4:50 p.m., according to fire officials, and then entered the home to alert occupants, helping them to safety prior to firefighters arriving on scene. One firefighter was transported to the hospital for observation, but there were no other injuries reported.

Firefighters battled the fire from the interior and exterior of the home, however, the volume of the fire was so overwhelming and intense the order to withdraw all inside crews was given. The second floor collapsed minutes later. Firefighters fought the fire from the exterior using elevated master streams, and brought the fire under control in approximately 25 minutes. The residual heat of the fire caused major damage to the vinyl siding to an adjacent home. The high winds also started several brush fires nearby.

The home is a total loss. According fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An unattended candle on the wraparound front porch caused the fire.