Sterling Middle School, 201 West Holly Ave., Sterling will present its winter band concert on Tuesday, Dec. 17 at 7:30 p.m. Hear students performing holiday music. Call 703-444-7490.
Information about school delays and closures due to inclement weather may be obtained at the Loudoun Public Schools Web site. Visit www.loudoun.k12.va.us and click on the yellow bus. The site gives parents the option of receiving an email if the decision is changed.
College Funding Resources of Fairfax will conduct a free workshop on financial aid at Eastern Loudoun Regional Library, 21030 Whitfield Place, in Sterling, on Saturday, Dec. 14, from 10 a.m.-noon. Call for reservations and information at 571-431-5671.
Latoria Bailey, 14, of Ashburn, a student at Broadrun High School, has received a Youth Appreciation Award from Fairfax County Department of Community and Recreation Services for volunteer services at the Mott Community Center in Springfield.
C.S. Monroe Technology Center recently honored the top students of the first nine-week grading period. The top students were:
Jason Luke, administration of justice
Ramon Santos, advanced masonry
James Breeden, auto systems technology I
Josh Campbell, auto systems technology II
Jeff Hutchinson, building construction I
Dustin Dickinson, building construction II
Michael Snight, C&D Animation
Robert Gibson, collision repair technology I
Mike Borkovic, collision repair technology II
Mauricio Merida, computer integrated engineering and design
Matt Martin, computer network administration (a.m. class)
Kyle Croson, computer network administration (p.m. class)
Glenn Mullenax, computer system technology (hardware)
Todd Sims, computer systems technology (software)
Jenna Mitchell, cosmetology I (a.m. class)
Yeneidi Cuesta, cosmetology I (p.m. class)
Christy Oglevee, cosmetology II
Chantel Stanley, culinary arts I
Travis Garrison, culinary arts II
Brian Simms, graphics I
John Snead, graphics II
Melanie Cunningham, greenhouse
Matthew Wilt, HVAC I
Richard Barker, HVAC II
Jennifer Rutherford and Theresa Frye, licensed practical nurse I
Darleen Bumgardner, licensed practical nurse II
Julian Thomas, masonry
Maria Avilez, nail design technology
Jaime Sanchez, nursery/landscape
Kyle Stinson, television production I
Nicole Buckholz, television production II
Tim Omspach, welding I
Christian Hoyt, welding II
SAT and ACT Tests will be administered at LCPS high schools. The dates are as follows:
* Jan. 25, 2003 at Loudoun High School. Registration deadline is Monday, Dec. 27, with a late day of Thursday, Jan. 2. SAT I, SAT II, ELPT offered on this date.
* April 5, 2003 at Loudoun County High School. The registration deadline is Friday, Feb. 28 with a late date of March 12. SAT I offered.
* May 3, 2003, at Broad Run High School. The registration date is Friday, March 28, with a late date of Friday, April 9. The SAT I and SAT II will be offered.
* June 7, 2003 at Park View High School. Registration date for this test is Friday, May 2, with a late date of Wednesday, May 14. The SAT I and SAT II will be offered.
* The ACT will be offered on April 12, 2003, at Broad Run High School. The registration deadline is Friday, March 7, with a late date of Friday, March 21.
Fee for the SAT I is $26. Information about SAT testing can be obtained from guidance counselors at any of Loudoun County’s seven high schools or by going at www.collegeboard.com
Fee for the ACT is $25. Information about the ACT also may be obtained from high school guidance counselors or on-line at www.act.org.
SAT testing usually begins at 8 a.m. on the Saturdays on which the test is administered. It’s suggested that students be at the testing site at 7:30 a.m. in order to be prepared to take the test.
More than 2,000 colleges and universities use the test scores as part of their admissions process.