The Arlington County Volunteer Office offers these and hundreds of other volunteer opportunities.
* Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment (ACE), a local environmental civic organization, seeks candidates to serve on its board of directors, a volunteer leadership group providing oversight of programming and finances. Board members must be available to attend an evening meeting one night a month, participate in program committees, and help organize cleanup events. Elections for the 2003-04 board will occur on March 6. The deadline for applications is Feb. 18. Interested candidates should call 703-228-6427.
* Arlington County Aging and Disability Services is seeking a volunteer to visit a 28-year-old male who is currently bedridden at home. Someone who is outgoing, knowledgeable about current events and sports, is a non-smoker, and would visit once a week would be ideal. Call the Arlington County Volunteer Office at 703 228-1760.
* Meals on Wheels is recruiting volunteer drivers, riders and dispatchers to help in delivering meals to homebound Arlingtonians. Weekday help is needed between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Help is needed once a month or more. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Hispanic Committee of Virginia is recruiting volunteers to be interpreters (English/Spanish), tutors, mentors, administrative assistants, or to provide transportation to medical appointments. Flexible scheduling possible. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Arlington County Department of Human Services Agency on Aging is recruiting volunteers to work in their Personal Advocate Services Program. Volunteers assist residents over 60 and are trained to assist in a variety of areas such as arranging ongoing home care, providing assistance after hospital discharge, exploring housing options, filling out forms or helping determine which services are available. In addition, special training will be available for those volunteers interested in working with insurance issues such as Medicare, Medigap, long-term care insurance and managed care. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Arlington County Senior Adult Travel Office needs help in the office answering phones, providing information on trips and registration, and photocopying program fliers. Volunteers need to have excellent people skills, a clear speaking voice, good organization skills, and knowledge of basic office machines (photocopier, fax, adding machine, and computer), and be able to work independently. Help is needed eight or more hours a week for a minimum of three months. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Arlington Public Schools Partners in Education Program is looking for weekday-available volunteers to help in the office with data input, typing, filing, organizing information, labeling and stuffing envelopes, copying, faxing, making phone calls, entering information into the Access database. Expertise in Access or Excel is desired but not necessary. Flexible hours between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Metro-accessible at either Ballston or Virginia Square on the Orange Line. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* Community Residences is seeking experienced volunteers to sit on committees to help plan their annual fund-raiser, A Taste of Arlington, to be held on Sunday, May 18, 2003. Committees needing assistance include Entertainment, Food and Restaurant, Logistics, Volunteers, Ticket Sales and Publicity. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Conservation Fund, located in Rosslyn, is recruiting volunteers to research corporations, foundations, and individual grant-making prospects; assist with maintaining the donor database; and help with organization of donor files. Weekday help is needed with flexible work schedule possible. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Bead Museum is seeking volunteers to meet and greet visitors, assist in the library, serve customers in the gift shop, work on education and outreach, help with the semi-annual bead bazaar, or string beads. Volunteers are needed five hours a week or more on Monday, Wednesday or Friday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday, noon-5 p.m.; or Sunday, 1-4 p.m. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Arlington/Alexandria Coalition for the Homeless (AACH) is looking for volunteers who would be in interested in serving as weekend house managers. Responsibilities include answering telephones, greeting visitors, supervising the shelter and helping with donations. Shifts are 2-4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* Homestretch Inc., a transitional housing program, is in need of volunteers to teach English as a Second Language weekdays or evenings. It is also recruiting a weekday-available volunteer receptionist. Other opportunities include serving on a board committee or assisting with several annual events. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Shirlington Employment and Education Center (SEEC) is in need of bilingual (English/Spanish) volunteers to teach English as a Second Language and also to teach computer skills. Assistance is also needed with administrative work and grant writing. The Center is open and help is needed Monday through Friday, 6 a.m.-4 p.m., and Saturday from 6 a.m.-noon. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.