* Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment (ACE), a local environmental civic organization, seeks candidates to serve on its board of directors, a volunteer leadership group providing oversight of programming and finances. Board members must be available to attend an evening meeting one night a month, participate in program committees, and help organize cleanup events. Elections for the 2003-04 board will occur on March 6. The deadline for applications is Feb. 18. Interested candidates should call 703-228-6427.
* Arlington County Aging and Disability Services is seeking a volunteer to visit a 28-year-old male who is currently bedridden at home. Someone who is outgoing, knowledgeable about current events and sports, is a non-smoker, and would visit once a week would be ideal. Call the Arlington County Volunteer Office at 703 228-1760.
* Meals on Wheels is recruiting volunteer drivers, riders and dispatchers to help in delivering meals to homebound Arlingtonians. Weekday help is needed between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Help is needed once a month or more. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Arlington Education and Employment Program (AEEP) is seeking volunteers to teach English as a Second Language to adults in free community-based classes in Arlington. Commitment requested is one evening or morning a week for a minimum of three months. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Hispanic Committee of Virginia is recruiting volunteers to be interpreters (English/Spanish), tutors, mentors, administrative assistants, or to provide transportation to medical appointments. Flexible scheduling possible. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Arlington County Department of Human Services Agency on Aging is recruiting volunteers to work in their Personal Advocate Services Program. Volunteers assist residents over 60 and are trained to assist in a variety of areas such as arranging ongoing home care, providing assistance after hospital discharge, exploring housing options, filling out forms or helping determine which services are available. In addition, special training will be available for those volunteers interested in working with insurance issues such as Medicare, Medigap, long-term care insurance and managed care. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* The Arlington County Senior Adult Travel Office needs help in the office answering phones, providing information on trips and registration, and photocopying program fliers. Volunteers need to have excellent people skills, a clear speaking voice, good organization skills, and knowledge of basic office machines (photocopier, fax, adding machine, and computer), and be able to work independently. Help is needed eight or more hours a week for a minimum of three months. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.
* Community Residences is seeking experienced volunteers to sit on committees to help plan their annual fund-raiser, A Taste of Arlington, to be held on Sunday, May 18, 2003. Committees needing assistance include Entertainment, Food and Restaurant, Logistics, Volunteers, Ticket Sales and Publicity. Call Jean Berg at 703-228-1760.