The Board of Supervisors is responsible for drawing up the county's annual budget, setting the real estate tax rate and overseeing public services. They also decide land use cases, setting levels of development, and handle constituent services.
There is no elected executive office in Fairfax County. Instead, Supervisors appoint a county executive. The current county executive is Anthony Griffin.
There are nine Supervisor districts in Fairfax County. Every four years, voters elect one Supervisor from each district. The Chairman of the Board of Supervisors is the top elected official in the county, elected by all voters.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS CANDIDATES:
* Gerald Connolly, Democrat, currently serving as Providence District Supervisor.
web site: www.gerry2003.com
* Mychele Brickner, Republican, currently serving as an at-large member of the School Board.
web site: www.mbrickner.com
* Sharon Bulova, Democrat (incumbent, unopposed)
* John Foust, Democrat
web site: www.foustforsupervisor.org
* Joan Dubois, Republican
web site: www.joanduboisforsupervisor.com
Hunter Mill District
* Cathy Hudgins, Democrat (incumbent)
* Doug Bushee, Republican
web site: www.electdoug.com
* Dana Kauffman, Democrat (incumbent, unopposed)
* Penny Gross, Democrat (incumbent)
* Buzz Hawley, Republican
web site: www.buzzhawley.com
*Young Duek Ahn, Independent
Mt. Vernon District
* Gerald Hyland, Democrat (incumbent)
* Purvis Dawson, Republican
web site: www.purvis4supervisor.com
* Linda Smyth, Democrat
* Jim Hyland, Republican
web site: www.jimhyland.com
* Elaine McConnell, Republican (incumbent)
* Georgette Kohler, Democrat
* Michael Frey, Republican (incumbent)
web site: www.michaelfrey.com