Send announcements to The Loudoun Connection, 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, e-mail to email@example.com or fax to 703-917-0991. Deadline is two weeks before the event. Photos/artwork encouraged. For more information, call Jennifer Lesinski at 703-917-6454. This free listing is reserved for activities and events that are open to the public at no or minimal cost.
The Loudoun Women Business Forum will take place Sept. 1, noon, at ZeffirelliÕs Restaurant, Leesburg. Speaker is Kerstin Haefele-Gordon on the topic of What the Small Business Development Center has to offer. Open to the public. $15, includes lunch. Call 703-728-8900.
Frilly Frocks and Polliwogs, a store specializing in new and gently-used children's appeal, furnishings and toys, is holding an open house Saturday, Sept. 3, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m., at 20691 Ashburn Road. Includes entertainment, refreshments, door prizes. Call 703-858-4940.
Jumpstart Fitness LLC, announces its grand opening celebration Saturday, Sept. 10, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., at 114 Edwards Ferry Road, in Suite C, Leesburg. Owner and operator, Alexa Marks of Ashburn, a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor, runs an outdoor boot camp for women and a separate coed boot camp; offers personal training services both indoors and outdoors, in studio and on location; and designs travel workouts. Marks plans to bring Pilates and yoga to her studio in mid-September. The grand opening includes free body composition screening, from 11 a.m.-12 p.m.; free Fitness Boot Camp demo class, from 1-1:45 p.m. Register in person or call 703-314-8450.
Loudoun County's Economic Development Commission (EDC) wants local business leaders who can contribute time, energy and ideas to promote business growth, strengthen the local economy and preserve a high quality of life for county residents. The EDC expects several openings for three-year terms beginning January 2006, and leaders from all sectors of the local business community are encouraged to apply. Applications are due by 5 p.m., Sept. 16. Send letters of interest, along with resumes/bios, to EDC Nominating Committee, c/o Debra Jenkins, Loudoun County Department of Economic Development, 1 Harrison St., fifth floor, P.O. Box 7000, Leesburg.
The commission has 27 voting members, and is responsible for updating and implementing the community's Economic Development Strategic Plan; providing program and policy recommendations to the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors; coordinating economic development and marketing activities among public/private groups in the county and providing the Department of Economic Development with ongoing support and oversight. Visit www.loudoun.gov/edc.
AVWashington, a division of Avitecture Inc., completed the design and installation of the state-of-the art multimedia systems at the New Yad Vashem Holocaust History Museum in Jerusalem, Israel.
Inaugurated in a solemn ceremony attended by hundreds of heads of state, government officials, intellectuals, Nobel prize winners and dignitaries from 40 nations, the new museum opened March 15. As many as 10,000 visitors a day have toured the museum. Avitecture Inc. worked under a direct contract with Yad Vashem and teamed with BARKAI Benny Brookstein Ltd.
Avitecture Inc. is located in Sterling; and is an audio-video systems integrator with design, installation and support capabilities.
Nichole Towers, resident of Ashburn, announces the opening of two additional Kinderdance educational dance and fitness centers at the Christian Fellowship School, Beaumeade Circle, Ashburn and Montessori ChildrenÕs House of Loudoun, West Church Road, Sterling.
Towers is now teaching more than 61 students in a total of 10 different authorized Kinderdance centers. Towers completed her training less than a year ago at Kinderdance corporate offices in Melbourne, Fla., and since then has been offering the Kinderdance programs in the counties of Fairfax and Loudoun.
Dunlap, Grubb, Weaver & Whitbeck, P.C., a law firm based in Leesburg, announces three new attorneys have joined the firm, Vincent Amberly as a partner, and Jennifer Cisneros and Lindsay Hendrix, both as associates. The firm has offices in Leesburg, Reston and Winchester.
Kwasi Koranteng, owner of Wings Restaurant, announces a new partnership with former Washington Redskins Art Monk, Charles Mann and Darrell Green to promote Wings through a variety of events. Wings is located at 46839 Maple Leaf Place, unit 187, Sterling.
Dr. Theresa Melody, a doctor of podiatric medicine, has joined the Family Foot and Ankle Centers of Northern Virginia. Melody has been practicing in the Cumberland, Md., area for the past several years. Melody graduated from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine and completed a podiatric medical and surgical residency at Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital and Alliance Community Hospital in Canton, Ohio. Melody is a board qualified by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and a member of the American Podiatric Medical Association. She specializes in podiatric, geriatric care and reconstructive foot surgery with a sub-specialty in diabetic foot care. As a diabetic herself, she is keenly aware of the many problems that diabetics get and fully versed in all the new advanced techniques being offered today. Family Foot and Ankle Centers has offices located in Ashburn, Fairfax and McLean.
The Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce has the following upcoming events:
* Loudoun Chamber's Countywide Job Fair, Monday, Sept. 12, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. More than 50 employers will be at the Washington Dulles Airport Marriott to meet with job applicants at all levels. Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, 45020 Aviation Drive, Dulles. Contact Lana Heaslip, executive director of membership at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-777-2176, Ext. 2.
* 2005 Golf Classic, Monday, Sept. 19, 10 a.m. shotgun start. Event proceeds to benefit the chamber and Loudoun charities. Sponsorship and player opportunities still available. Belmont County Club, 19961 Belmont Manor Lane, Ashburn.
* Lunch & Learn, Tuesday, Sept. 20, 11:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m. O'Faolains Irish Restaurant & Pub, 20921 Davenport Drive, Sterling. Per-person tickets: $15 member/$20 nonmember
RSVP to email@example.com.
* Loudoun Expo Trade Show, Saturday, Oct. 15, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., at the Dulles Town Center. Annual business-to-consumer trade show attracts more than 20,000 attendees. Display tables start at only $450, visit www.loudounchamber.org. Dulles Town Center, 21000 Dulles Town Circle, Dulles. Contact Roxane Remley at 703-777-2176, Ext. 25 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Small Business Awards Dinner, Monday, Nov. 14, 6 p.m., Lansdowne Resort, 44050 Woodridge Parkway, Lansdowne. Call for nominations, visit the Chamber Web site at www.loudounchamber.org and complete a nomination form or fax a form to Roxane Remley at 703-777-1392. All nominations are due by 5 p.m., Sept. 30.
* Holiday Celebration, Thursday, Dec. 1, 5:30-10 p.m. Shop Loudoun will feature an array of Loudoun business presenting their wares for a shop and carry experience. National Conference Center, 18980 Upper Belmont Pace, Lansdowne. Interested vendors, visit www.loudounchamber.org and complete a registration form.
Local area vendors are invited to the 2005 Loudoun County
Procurement's Buyer/Seller Information Exchange sessions. The purpose of these informal sessions is to give area businesses the opportunity to meet the county's procurement staff and become familiar with the county's procurement process. The next round of sessions are as follows:
* Monday, Sept. 19, 10:30 a.m.
* Thursday, Oct. 20, 2 p.m.
* Friday, Nov. 18, 10:30 a.m.
* Thursday, Dec. 22, 2 p.m.
The sessions will be held in the Lovettsville Room on the first floor of the County Government Center, 1 Harrison St., S.E., in Leesburg. Call 703-771-5142 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Designer Joe Ruggiero introduced his designs at the showroom of Norwalk-The Furniture Idea at the Dulles Town Crossing Shopping Center Aug. 12. Store owners, Barbara and Sonny Wolfe, and their sons, Joe and Larry Wolfe, hosted the event. The Wolfes brought Ruggiero to the area to furnish a sitting room for Linda Liggett of Leesburg, who won a national design contest sponsored by Norwalk Furniture.