Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Lea Mae Rice at 703-917-6459.
Temple B'nai Shalom offers an open house and Shabbat Service for new and prospective members Friday, Sept. 8 beginning at 6:30 p.m. with Shabbat Services following from 8-9:30 p.m. The purpose of this evening is to give potential members and guests an opportunity to meet the Senior Rabbi and leadership and to tour Temple B'nai Shalom's facilities. The temple is located at 7612 Old Ox Road in Fairfax Station. Call 703-764-2901 for questions.
Kirkwood Presbyterian Church, located at 8336 Carrleigh Parkway, Springfield, resumes a regular worship schedule Sept. 10. Church school for all ages is 9:15 a.m. Worship is 11 a.m. with a children’s church program for pre-school through grade 4, and nursery provided. For more information, call 703-451-5320.
Congregation Adat Reyim holds services Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 9:30 a.m. and Wednesday at 7:40 p.m. Hebrew school is available on Sunday at 9 a.m. and Sunday and Monday evenings at 5:30 p.m. Preschool is available Monday through Friday at 9:30 a.m. It is a progressive conservative congregation with educational programs for preschoolers through high schoolers. The synagogue is located at 6500 Westerbury Oaks Court in Springfield. Call 703-569-7577 or visit www.adatreyim.org. Upcoming activites include the New and Prospective Member Bar-b-que Sept. 17.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday; and Heartline, a contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* Prayer at Messiah. Messiah offers the following prayer ministries: Sunday Morning Prayers, 7:15 a.m. in the Chapel; Tuesday Evening Prayer, 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel and Wednesday Prayer Group, 6 a.m. in the Chapel.
* Heartline. A contemporary praise and worship service Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* GriefShare. A support group for people grieving the death of someone close. Sundays from 2-3:30 p.m., for 13 weeks. For information contact Irene Rich, director of Congregational Care at 703-569-9862, ext. 212.
* Young adults, both singles and married couples, are welcome on Sunday mornings from 11 a.m.-12 p.m. for "Life Lessons with Max Lucado on the book of Acts" in Room 261.
* Fall Fundraiser Dance. From 7-10 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall. Recommended donation of $10 per person; free-will offering for those 18 and under. Proceeds will go to Youth England Trip and Military Missions. Entertainment provided by Crossroads.
* "Successfully Single" Wednesdays in September. Explore successful ways to find companions, partners, and spouses in a seminar led by Forrest and Sylvia Hanvey. Sept. 6: "God's hand is on our shoulder in our search;" Sept. 13: "Community, internet and other resources;" Sept. 20, "Other ways to meet new people;" Sept. 27, "The devil is in the details: How to work out the details when you do find someone special."
* "Divorce Recovery Workshop" begins Wednesday, Sept. 20 at 7:30 p.m. This eight-week seminar is designed to help divorced or separated people begin the process of healing wounds and coping with grief in the loss of a marriage; dealing with anger, guilt, rejection, forgiveness, and loneliness; and transitioning into single life in addition to experiencing a supportive community. Free, with books available for purchase. To register, contact Rev. Debbie Fambro at ext. 213 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
First Baptist Church of Springfield has Sunday services, beginning Sept. 10, at 10:30 a.m. and 7 p.m., Sunday school at 9:15 a.m., Hispanic worship service at 9 a.m., Korean worship service at 2 p.m., and an Ethiopian service at 12:15 p.m. The pastor is Jim Weaver. Church is located at 7300 Gary St., Springfield. 703-451-1500. For more, visit www.fbcspringfield.org.
Faith Communities in Action will be hosting an Action Meeting, “Homeless Single Adults in Fairfax County: Who Are They?” Wednesday, Sept.13, from 2-4 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, in conference rooms 2 and 3. Guest speakers from Habitat for Humanity Northern Virginia. Free. RSVP to email@example.com or call 703-324-3453.
Starting on Oct. 4 through Nov.16, the Shepherd Center of Annandale-Springfield sponsors its first "Adventures in Learning" at Annandale United Methodist Church, 6934 Columbia Pike, Annandale. Registration is Wednesday, Sept. 20 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. $35 registration fee entitles each registrant to take one or more classes. Fall schedule includes two classes each Wednesday:
* Life Transition, 9:30-11:05 a.m.
* Fairfax County History, 11:15-12:15 p.m.
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) is for people who are interested in becoming Catholic or learning about the Catholic Church. A group will be meeting on Wednesdays, at 7:30 p.m., at St. Leo the Great Church, 3704 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax in the Old Parish Hall and will continue to meet throughout the school year. Call Martha Malloy at 703-273-5369.
Jubilee Christian Center is offering free English classes as a second language during its Sunday School time, 10:10-10:50 a.m. on Sundays at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. 703-383-1170.
St. Leo the Great in Fairfax hosts “Night of Praise” the first Saturday of each month, featuring praise music and Eucharist adoration at 7 p.m. Located at 3704 Old Lee Highway in Fairfax.
Church of the Nativity offers a free general bereavement support group, 7:30-9 p.m. the first and third Thursday of each month at the church, 6400 Nativity Lane, near Old Keene Mill Road and Lee Chapel Road in Burke. Open to all adults. For more information call Carol Mack at 703-455-2400 ext 17.
The Shalem Institute is offering free monthly prayer opportunities in Fairfax. The time together will be devoted to relaxation, the presentation of different prayer practices, silence, journal keeping and small group sharing. No experience is required and participants may attend regularly or drop in. Donations are accepted. Meetings take place the third Monday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m. at the Providence Presbyterian Church, 9019 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Ann Kulp, Kathy Spaar and Tad Wicker lead the meetings. To register for these events or for more information, visit www.shalem.org or call 301-897-7334.
The following is a list of various events taking place at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, 4325 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax:
* Bible study and Prayer Service every Tuesday starting at 7 p.m.
* Sunday School at 9:30-10:45 a.m., except for the fourth Sunday of the month, when Sunday School is offered 9-10 a.m.
* Sunday morning service at 11 a.m.
* Commonwealth Care Center ministry every first and third Thursday night. Call 703-273-1455.
Fairfax Christian Church, located at 10185 Main St., Fairfax, presents a class that explores traditional Christian spiritual practices of meditation and healing on Sundays from 5:30-7 p.m. To register, call 703-385-3520 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clifton Presbyterian Church, located at 12748 Richards Lane, Clifton, offers Sunday worship services at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Call 703-830-3175.
St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church, located at 6720 Union Mill Road, Clifton, conducts Sunday masses at 7:30 a.m., 8:45 a.m., 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. It also offers a Saturday vigil at 5:30 p.m. and a Wednesday Latin mass at 7 p.m. Call 703-817-1770 or visit www.st-andrew.org.
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 8304 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield, offers casual worship services on Saturday evenings at 5:30 p.m. featuring contemporary music.
More traditional services take place on Sunday mornings at 8:15 and 11 a.m. Sunday School is at 9:45-10:45 a.m. for children. The church also offers discussion groups for adults. Call 703-451-5855.
Kirkwood Presbyterian Church, located at 8336 Carrleigh Parkway in Springfield, supports a Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) program on the first Wednesday of each month. Meetings are 9:30-11 a.m. at the church. All mothers and children are welcome. The program provides mothers an opportunity to get to know other mothers through discussions and craft activities. The children will be cared for by adults in the MOPPET program. Cost is $3 per session. Register by stopping by the church or calling 703-451-5320.
Church of the Nativity offers a free general bereavement support group open to all adults on the first and third Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. The church is located at 6400 Nativity Lane, Burke. Call 703-455-2400, ext. 17.
New Jerusalem Temple, 8850 Cross Chase Circle, Fairfax Station, conducts Sunday services at 10 a.m. at Halley Elementary and Bible studies on Tuesdays. Contact Pastor Florine Murphy at 703-922-3791.