Dr. N. Shreve Spitler recently celebrated 50 years of practicing dentistry in McLean. Spitler attended Gonzaga High School, Georgetown University, and the Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond. He has practiced general dentistry in McLean since 1958. He helped establish the McLean Medical Building and now practices in the McLean Doctors' Building on Whittier Avenue. He was recently awarded fellowship in the prestigious Academy of General Dentistry.
Spitler is married with four children, and 12 grandchildren. He is an accomplished violinist who also enjoys participating in fiddle contests and playing bluegrass music. Spitler was one of the first dentists to open a practice in McLean, and his first office was located in a cottage on Old Chain Bridge Road, near the site of the current Boston Market. He also pioneered the use of lasers in his practice and is one of few dentists in McLean to use one. He hopes to be the longest practicing dentist –– not only in McLean –– but in all of Virginia.