Southeast Fairfax Development Corporation has been an active participant in the Route 1 revitalization effort since its inception. Periodically, the agency provide updates on the various projects planned and underway. Here is the latest from SFDC:
* Hampton Inn: Construction has begun on the new 50-room suite tower addition to the existing hotel at the intersection of Route 1 and the Capital Beltway.
* Beacon Center: Demolition has started at Goodyear. The business will ultimately move to the north side of Beacon Center. Shoney’s has closed and B.F. Saul is close to finalizing a lease with a new restaurant tenant.
* Commerce Bank/Chili’s: Demolition is expected to commence soon at the Value Inn of America site across from Groveton Baptist Church. It will eventually be the home of a Commerce Bank branch and Chili’s Restaurant.
* Del Ray Glass: Demolition is complete and excavation is underway at 6601 Richmond Highway which will become the new home of the 53 year old business which has been based in Alexandria on Jefferson Davis Highway. It is targeted to open this fall.
* Wachovia Bank (Beacon Center and Hybla Valley): These sites are under contract to undisclosed developers. Settlement is expected in April and February respectively.
* Groveton Heights: Apparent escalation of construction costs have delayed this project. According to SFDC, “The developer plans to go to the financial markets to fund this project.”
* Jemal Office Building: Starco has recently purchased the building from Jemal Companies.
* Kings Crossing: Plans have been filed by JPI Development Partners, Inc., to rezone this site at the intersection of South Kings Highway and Route 1. Public hearings should begin soon.
* Shurgard Storage: Construction has started on this facility which features townhouse-style office space along the highway frontage. The office will be available for lease starting in Fall 2006.
* Safeway Center: The Zimmer Companies are continuing their progress on this property. The latest information is that Safeway will open in March 2006.
* K&M Shopping Center: The site plan for this project on Fordson Road in the Hybla Valley area remains in the review phase.
* Mount Vernon Plaza: According to Federal Realty, owners of the site, they have almost completely leased this revitalized shopping area.
* Walgreen’s: This national drugstore chain has proposed to place one of its stores at the site now occupied by the vacated Dunkin’ Donuts at the intersection of Route 1 and Boswell Avenue.
* Vernon Heights: Sales of single family homes has begun with prices starting at $789,900.
* Denny’s: The restaurant, formerly located at Route 1 and Lukens Lane, has closed. According to Denny’s corporate real estate, the franchise has decided not to renew the lease with corporate. Denny’s corporate has a land lease until August 2006.