* Centreville Dance Academy is a family friendly dance studio that is now celebrating 20 years of service to the Northern Virginia area. Located in the Centreville Square Shopping Center, the school offers fun for the entire family with dance instruction, birthday parties, Jazzercise, summer camps, and parent’s night out. Dance instruction is offered for students 18 months to 18 years, classes include mommy & me, creative movement, jazz, tap, ballet, pointe, lyrical and hip hop. Children of all shapes, sizes and abilities are welcome.
The experienced staff uses a unique teaching style that focuses on the student as an individual by using positive reinforcement and encouragement in the learning process. Teachers are always available to speak with parents regarding their child's dance education.
Whether your child is aiming toward a college dance program, or just wants to add a bit of grace and poise into his/her life, your child has a place at CDA. The dance studio is located at 14215-J Centreville Square across from Giant Food. For more information about class schedules, registration or additional family fun visit www.CentrevilleDance.com or call 703-815-3125.
* “The Ballroom” dance studio in Centreville Square offers classes every night of the week, including salsa, tango, foxtrot, and ballroom instruction. Every Friday, and second and third Saturday of each month they hold dance parties for students to showcase their talent. Each of the classes offered begin in the first week of the month. Depending on the number of weeks in the month, it will either be a four-week series or a five- week series. Darryl Adams and Michele Kearney founded “The Ballroom” to provide a friendly, relaxed atmosphere where both couples and individuals can learn social dancing and improve their dance skills. The studio teaches people of all ages and dance levels. The studio’s instructors have extensive knowledge in all of the contemporary dances, such as the waltz, foxtrot, swing, tango, and salsa, just to name a few. Adams and Kearney both teach, choreograph, perform, and attend dance competitions with the students. Call 703-266-8040 or visit the Web site at www.theballroomstudio.com.
* Encore Performers has classes available for children, ages 3-adults, from beginners to pre-professional in jazz, tap, ballet, drama, hip-hop, modern, and Broadway with highly qualified teachers. The studio has three large dance rooms with suspended sprung-wood floors. The studio's director, award-winning choreographer Raynor van der Merwe, has a separate dance program available to serious dance students. Many students who participated in Encore Performers national touring companies have appeared in renowned shows across the country. Located at 4299 Henninger Court, Chantilly. Interested in auditions or want to dance for the company? Call 703-222-5511 or visit the Web site at www.encoreperformers.com.
* The Fairfax Ballet Company, part of the Russell School of Ballet, is a nonprofit organization formed in 1971 to provide young, qualified student dancers an opportunity to gain performing experience under professional direction. The Company performs three major productions — Tchaikovsky's holiday favorite, "The Nutcracker," the Spring Ballet Concert, and a Jazz, Tap and Modern Dance Revue.
Classes will be offered in classical ballet, pointe and variations, jazz, tap, modern, lyrical, pilates, stretch, floor barre and musical theater dance for children, teens and adults pre-school through professional levels.
The artistic directors are Ilona and Thomas Russell. The Russell School of Ballet is at 14119-0 Sullyfield Circle, Chantilly, VA 20151. For more information, call 703-803-1055 or visit www.fairfaxballet.com.
* Tiny Dancers, with locations in Fairfax and Gainesville, is a dance studio designed for young children ages 18 months and up. Voted Best Dance Studio the past five years in Family Magazine, the program features a Ballet, Tap, Jazz, and Hip Hop curriculum that begins with "Wiggletoes" for babies 18-20 months and "Mom & Me" classes for 2- to 3-year-olds. Tiny dancers also offers ballet lycee for ages 6 and up. Up to age 6, Tiny Dancers uses elaborate costumes and props, coupled with classical music and favorite tales, to build a solid technical foundation in a fun environment filled with creative self-expression. By emphasizing agility, coordination and cognitive patterning, the program sets the stage for the older dancers (ages 6-up) as they master dance fundamentals and explore choreography and performance technique. Limited class size allows for personalized and age-appropriate instruction that takes into account both the physical and emotional aspects of each child's development. For information or registration, call 703-385-5580 or visit www.tinydancers.com
* The Joan Izzo Academy of Dance offers classes in classical ballet, pointe, jazz, hip-hop, tap, creative dance, worship dance and dance imagination. Classes are for preschool through professional levels. Enrollment is for a continuous period from Sept. 15, 2009, through June 19, 2010. The studio is located at 4425 Brookfield Corporate Drive, Chantilly. Contact Joan Izzo at 703-327-8402. Visit www.joanizzodance.org.
* Center Stage Dance and Performing Arts Center has classes for children, teens and adults in tap, jazz, lyrical jazz, ballet, drama, musical theater, hip hop and voice for all ages and all levels. The Center offers many performing opportunities for students involved in its performing teams. A professional dance company, Center Stage Dance Co. is in residence at the Center and has performed at The Kennedy Center, the Smithsonian Institution and at the Olympics in Sydney, Australia. The Center is located at 11094-B Lee Highway, Fairfax, directly behind Borders. Call 703-385-3396 or visit the Web site: www.centerstage-dance.com.