Week in Fairfax

Week in Fairfax

Faux Armored Guard Nabbed

City of Fairfax police have arrested an 18-year-old Fairfax man who they say tried to steal money from a local grocery store by posing as an armored-car guard. He is Hodifa Abdulhakim Tunalli of 11328 Westbrook Mill Lane.

According to police, he entered the Shoppers Food Warehouse at 9622 Main St., last Friday, Feb. 17, shortly after 8 a.m., and allegedly stated he was there to pick up the day’s money deposit. He wore a weapon (later determined to be a BB-gun pistol) in a holster.

When the man could not provide identification, employees became suspicious and refused to give him the money while simultaneously calling police. No one was injured. The suspect left the business and was quickly taken into custody in the immediate area by responding officers who’d already established a perimeter in the shopping center.

Tunalli was taken to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center where he was charged with attempted grand larceny and ordered held without bond. But that’s not all.

He also was subsequently charged with attempted grand larceny and petit larceny for a similar incident, Feb. 11, at the Best Buy at 9652 Main St. On that date, say police, Tunalli reportedly posed as an armored-car guard and stole a computer bag from the store.

Police say they also charged Tunalli that same day, Feb. 11, with grand larceny after he allegedly tried to drive off in a vehicle from the Fairfax Auto Gallery at 10970 Fairfax Blvd. Police say he was prevented from doing so by an employee who jumped in front of the car.

Fair Oaks CAC to Meet

The Citizens Advisory Council of the Fair Oaks District Police Station will meet Tuesday, Feb. 28, at 7 p.m., in the roll-call room of the police station. It’s at 12300 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway in Chantilly.

Recycle During Electric Sunday

Residents may recycle old TVs, computers, peripheral electronic devices – such as keyboards, speakers, printers and scanners, as well as household hazardous wastes – including fluorescent light bulbs and tubes, for free, during Fairfax County’s "Electric Sunday" events. The next one is slated for Sunday, Feb. 26, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., at the I-66 Transfer Station, 4618 West Ox Road in Fairfax. For more information, call 703-324-5052.

Parkway Now Primary Road

From now on, the Fairfax County Parkway is officially designated as a primary road – complete with a new number and funding source. Last Wednesday, Feb. 15, the Commonwealth Transportation Board approved the transfer of the Fairfax County Parkway from the secondary to the primary-road system.

Primary roads receive federal funding for paving, guardrails, bridge improvements and other projects. Federal funding typically covers 80 percent of the cost to maintain interstates and primary roads, with the remaining 20 percent coming from state funds.

The Fairfax County Parkway (Route 7100), which runs from Route 1 to Route 7, will be renamed Route 286. The 32-mile road carries between 22,000 and 75,000 vehicles per day.

Over the next three months, VDOT will replace signs with the new route numbers and add signs indicating "Old Route 7100." Drivers will see both route numbers posted for about a year so hotels, businesses, map companies, etc., may update their materials.

Roads may be considered for the transfer from secondary to primary when they meet a majority of certain criteria, such as carrying a minimum traffic volume; carrying a minimum percentage of out-of-state, truck, tractor-trailer, or bus traffic; and serving as a link for highways, county seats or sites of historic or scenic interest.

Need Volunteer Recruitment Assistant

Fairfax County’s Volunteer Solutions needs a volunteer recruitment assistant at its Fairfax office to promote volunteering at community events and through web posting. Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite is required. The commitment is 3-4 hours a week on Wednesdays or Thursdays. Contact Volunteer Solutions at 703-324-5406, TTY 711, VolunteerSolutions@fairfaxcounty.gov.

Musician Volunteer

The Annandale Adult Day Health Care at 7200 Columbia Pike, Annandale seeks a volunteer musician (who plays an instrument other than piano) for approximately 45 minutes per month. Contact Volunteer Solutions at 703-324-5406, TTY 711, VolunteerSolutions@fairfaxcounty.gov or visit.

Looking for Group Coordinator

Meals on Wheels needs a group coordinator in Fairfax. This position accepts new client referrals by phone and coordinates meal preparation with the vendor. Must be available by phone or email during the day. Coordinators average 15 hours per month and one-year commitment is preferred. Contact Volunteer Solutions at 703-324-5406, TTY 711, VolunteerSolutions@fairfaxcounty.gov.