Herndon, Langley and McLean High Schools offer a rich program of courses, extracurricular activities and events. Check their websites for detailed descriptions. www.fcps.edu/HerndonHS, www.fcps.edu/LangleyHS and www.fcps.edu/McLeanHS
Concerts, plays and athletic events are open to the public and a great way to get to know a school community.
Here is a sampling of recent school news.
Herndon High School
- HHS will complete the planning phase this year for their renovation. Construction will likely begin in 2016-17.
- The Step Team has won their second world championship and the marching band will perform at Disney World in April.
*The Virtual Business Enterprise class has represented Virginia three times in national competitions.
- HHS has the largest number of National Board Certified teachers in a single FCPS schools.
- Herndon continues to field a competitive robotics team and offers a Navy JROTC program.
- Herndon is a “kids at Hope” school with an expectation of success for all students.
Langley High School
*Langley High School will begin their renovation in December of this year. Classes will continue with the help of 32 temporary classrooms in the new Quad Ville located in the parking lot. On campus parking will be reduced. With the auditorium under construction in the first phase this year, orchestra, band and drama performances will take place in other spaces. Please continue to come to events, but check for new locations.
*Last year, the volleyball team won the state championship, the science Olympiad team was second in the state and the Saxon Stage’s performance of “The Children’s Hour” won a Cappie for the best play and Jamie Joeyen-Waldorf won for graduating critic.
- The All Langley Read is “The Adoration of Jenna Fox” by Mary Pearson.
- The Langley Leap, a senior internship program, will be offered again in June through Government classes.
McLean High School
*MHS, renovated some years ago and having experienced enrollment growth in the last few years, may see no uptick in enrollment this year.
- McLean’s Critics team, Emma Paquette (rising critic) and Alex Stone (lead actor in a musical) won Cappies.
- Luke Ferris, a member of the USA Aquatics Special Olympics Team, has made the Team USA for the World Special Olympics.
- The Symphonic Band will perform at the National Concert Band Festival in Indianapolis.
*Dawn Allison, a MHS counselor, has been selected as the 2013-2014 FCPS Outstanding Career Center Specialist.
*McLean’s principal, Ellen Reilly, has a special page on the school website called Reilly’s Raves that highlights various student and staff accomplishments – like Catherine Overberg who graduated with perfect attendance from kindergarten through high schools. Check it out.