The revised Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Official National Park Handbook has been re-released by the C&O Canal Association and is available for sale in C&O Canal National Historical Park Visitor Centers or on-line at www.candocanal.org/store.html and at www.eparks.com/store/.
This update of the 1991 handbook is 20 pages longer than the original. It was developed through a partnership between the C&O Canal Association and the C&O Canal National Historical Park. It retains all of the informative illustrations and historical photographs that the original was known for, with many updates and additions, including:
- Revised text to reflect recent research and findings about the canal’s history;
- Features reflecting the improvements and additions to the park’s recreational and interpretive opportunities;
- Revised photographs that show present day views of the canal’s features;
- Updated maps that reflect revisions to the park, nearby trails, and access routes;
- An updated printed resource listing;
- A new list of Internet resource web addresses.
The project to develop the revised handbook was conducted on a volunteer basis and the Association funded book printing. Association members Steve Dean, Karen Gray, and Dward Moore supported the project.
To celebrate the re-printing of the handbook, the park is holding several book launch events with contributors Steve Dean and Karen Gray. These events will be held at:
- Great Falls Tavern Visitor Center, July 25, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Cumberland Visitor Center, August 22, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Williamsport Visitor Center, August 29, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.