Accidental Apartment Fire

Accidental Apartment Fire

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a garden apartment fire on Feb. 4, at approximately 11:25 p.m., in the Alexandria area of Fairfax County. The apartment is located at 3143 Southgate Drive.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the rear of the three-story apartment upon arrival. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire in a bedroom on the second floor. No one was home when the fire broke out. Two adults and two children have been displaced. Red Cross is supporting the displaced family. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $46,200.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A hot iron left on ignited combustible materials.