Flames are pouring out of this Franklin Farm garage.
Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Dept.
Fire officials say improperly discarded fireworks caused a house fire, June 13, in Chantilly’s Franklin Farm neighborhood. Fairfax County Fire and Rescue units were dispatched, around 9:46 p.m., to the 13100 block of Rounding Run Circle.
There, they saw fire coming from the attached garage of a two-story, single-family home. Crews quickly extinguished the blaze, preventing it from reaching the home’s interior. Four residents, home at the time, noticed smoke and flames coming from the garage; all were displaced.
According to investigators, the fire was accidental and was caused by improperly discarded fireworks in the garage. Damage was estimated at $80,000. It was the second house fire this year caused by improperly disposed fireworks. Fire officials urge all residents to dispose used fireworks the same as fireplace ashes. Place them into a metal container, douse with water, cover with metal lid and place container away from the house.