The Elden Street Players left The Birchemere in Alexandria a happy group after winning eight awards at the sixth annual Washington Area Theatre Community Honor awards gala Feb. 26.
Nominated for 24 awards for 2005, the community theater group's performance of "The Weir," which was nominated in 13 different categories, won a majority of the awards, including:
* Outstanding play
* Outstanding direction of a play, awarded to director Angie Anderson
* Outstanding set design and outstanding set construction, awarded to Tod L. Kerr
* Outstanding set painting, awarded to Jill Kerr
* Outstanding set decoration and set dressing and outstanding properties, awarded to producer Nanette Reynolds
* Outstanding sound design, awarded to Stan Harris, which was a tie between his sound design for "The Weir" and "The Mystery of Irma Vep" another Elden Street Players production nominated for eight awards this year.