Hector Novoa, a contractor for FedEx Ground based in Chantilly, captured first place in the Twins class, at the 2007 Virginia Truck Driving Championship in Lexington, Va., on June 15-16. Novoa will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2007 National Truck Driving Championships, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” which will be held Aug. 22-25 in Minneapolis. The Virginia State Truck Driving Championship includes a difficult driving skill test, pre-trip inspection, a personal interview and a written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
BNI Northern Virginia is hosting a "Coffee, Tea, You & Me" networking session on Friday, June 22, from 3-5 p.m. at the Border Cafe in Centreville. This week's special topic is "Creating Profitable 1-on-1's With Your Team!" Use one-on-ones for real business growth opportunities. The Border Cafe is at 5825 Trinity Parkway, Centreville. Call 703-201-4267.
Events Sponsored by the Chantilly-Centreville Chamber of Commerce. RSVP online, www.dullesregionalchamber.org, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone: 571-323-5304.
* Networking Mixer — Thursday, June 21, 5:30-7:30 p.m., at Hidden Lane Landscaping & Design, 12539 Lawyers Road, Herndon (near intersection of West Ox Rd.) Chat and "graze" with business folks amidst the growing display gardens at this company's site. Or pay at the door, $10 members; $15 nonmembers.
* Friday Night Live!— Friday, June 22, 6:30-10:30 p.m. Outdoor rock concert series on the green behind Municipal Center on Lynn Street. Runs through August. Free Admission. Family friendly. Go to www.HerndonRocks.com. Hotline is 703-481-6133.
* Power Networking Breakfast — Thursday, June 28, from 8-9:30 a.m., at Holiday Inn Select-Dulles Expo Center, Chantilly Shopping Center Dr., Chantilly. Connect face to face with potential customers or allies via several rounds of organized networking right after a hot breakfast. Fees: $25 in advance or $30 at door for members; $35 nonmembers.
* Friday Night Live! — Wednesday, July 4 and Friday, July 6, 6:30-10:30 p.m. Outdoor rock concert series on the green behind Municipal Center on Lynn Street. Runs through August. Free Admission. Family friendly. Go to www.HerndonRocks.com. Hotline is 703-481-6133.
* Chairman's Luncheon — Membership Annual Meeting. Featuring a presentation by Virginia Attorney General Robert F. McDonnell. Wednesday, July 11 from 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. at Crowne Plaza Hotel, 2200 Centreville Rd., Herndon. Meet the leadership of the Dulles Regional Chamber as well as business and community leaders. The 2007-08 officers and members of the Chamber Board will be introduced. Fees: $40 for members; $50 non- members. Pre-registration is required.
* Brown Bag Luncheon — Friday, July 13, noon-1 p.m., at Dulles Regional Chamber's Chantilly office, 3901 Centerview Drive, Suite R. Discussion follows introduction of a topic (TBA) by a business coach from ActionCOACH. Bring your own lunch.
* Friday Night Live! — Friday, July 13, 6:30-10:30 p.m. Outdoor rock concert series on the green behind Municipal Center on Lynn Street. Runs through August. Free Admission. Family friendly. Go to www.HerndonRocks.com. Hotline is 703-481-6133.
* Power Networking Breakfast — Thursday, July 26, 8-9:30 am, at Holiday Inn Select-Dulles Expo Center, Chantilly Shopping Center Dr., Chantilly. Connect face to face with potential customers or allies via several rounds of organized networking right after a hot breakfast. Fees: $25 in advance or $30 at door for members; $35 nonmembers.
The principals of Thompson, Greenspon & Co., P.C. announce that Charles F. (Chip) Helme III, CPA, has been elected managing principal of the firm effective May 1, a position that Thomas E. Cox has held for the past 12 years. Helme joined the firm in 1986, after graduating with a B.S. in Accounting from George Mason University.
The Credit Union Executive Society (CUES) has bestowed a prominent industry honor upon Apple Federal Credit Union. In ceremonies taking place Wednesday, April 25, Apple’s Web site, www.applefcu.org was recognized with a merit Golden Mirror Award for achievement in Web site Marketing.
The Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Northern Virginia Community Foundation are seeking applicants for the Business and Technology Scholarship. This scholarship was established to provide business and technology merit scholarships to strengthen the area's workforce readiness supply. Students can obtain applications at these schools:
* Centreville High School, 703-802-5400;
* Chantilly Academy, 703-222-7460;
* Chantilly High School, 703-222-8100;
* Mountain View School, 703-227-2316;
* Westfield High School, 703-488-6300.
The application forms are available now and are due back by May 21. E-mail to email@example.com.
The Centreville Rotary Club has moved its meeting location from the I-Hop in Centreville to the EggsSpectations Restaurant in Chantilly. The Rotary Club meets Tuesdays from 11:30-12:30 p.m. for lunch. There is a new guest speaker every week with topics ranging from estate planning to how the Rotary helps during emergencies. Contact Gregg Caldwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Clifton Business Connection chapter of BNI invites area business professionals to visit their weekly networking meeting held every Wednesday at 11 a.m. at Heart in Hand Restaurant in Clifton. Visit www.bninova.com.
Bowman Consulting of Chantilly has been recognized as a 2007 Helios Apollo Awards finalist. The Helios Apollo Awards were created by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Washington Chapter and Helios HR. The awards recognize Washington-area organizations that promote employee growth and development as an integral part of their organizational culture. Awards are given in four categories: Emerging Company, Small Company, Mid-Size Company and Large Company. Bowman Consulting was recognized in the Mid-Size Company category.
<lst>videoNEXT of Chantilly has appointed Ryan Kaltenbaugh to director of Business Development to its Chantilly headquarters to manage the East Coast. videoNEXT is a developer of security management solutions. Kaltenbaugh brings over 15 years of experience in sales, relationship management and customer service in connection with security and fire/life safety systems to videoNEXT. Before joining the company, Kaltenbaugh served as national accounts manager for Red Hawk, a UTC Fire and Security Company, and also held sales management positions with Stanley Security Solutions (ISR Solutions) and Siemens Building Technologies.
The incoming chairman of the Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce will be the first Hispanic to chair a traditional chamber of commerce in the history of Virginia. Raul Danny Vargas, president of VARCom Solutions (a marketing and public relations consulting firm), will be installed as chairman of the nearly half century-old chamber at a luncheon on July 11. Mr. Vargas has been active in the chamber and the area's business community. As a member of the board of directors, he has acted as the organization's VP of marketing, chairman of the communications committee, and one of the founding members of their Hispanic Business Council.