John R. Hanley, who was an Administrative Law Judge at the Interstate Commerce Commission for 23 years before retiring in 1980, died of renal failure at home on March 10. He lived in Riverside Estates near Mount Vernon.
Son of the late John C. and Annie E. (Brooke) Hanley, he was born in D.C. but was raised in Arlington. He graduated from Washington and Lee High School in 1937.
He was employed as an Engineering Aide with the Public Road Administration for the duration of the building of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and then as an Engineering Draftsman in the Ordnance Navy Yard.
He was enlisted in the Army Air Force in 1942, serving as a Radio Operator in the European, African and Middle Eastern Campaigns, and was discharged in 1945. After the Service, he was an Administrative Officer at the Bureau of Ships, Navy Department, leaving in 1947 to attend the University of Virginia, where he received degrees in 1950 and 1952. He was a member of Beta Gamma Sigma and a member of the Virginia State Bar for more than 50 years.
After law school, he returned to the Navy Department, and was also a part-time instructor in Business Law at the University of Virginia extension, leaving to join the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1957.
He served as past President of the Bucknell Heights Citizens Association, a past Treasurer of Little Hunting Park, and served for 20 years as a Neighborhood Watch coordinator of Riverside Estates.
He is survived by his wife of 54 years Ann Hanley; three sons: John (Huong) of Fairfax Station; Mark (Andrea) of Alpharetta, Ga.; Matthew (Joanne) of Ligonier, Pa.; five grandchildren: Greg, Brett, Johnny, Annie and Carolyn; a sister Gene (David) Graham of Fredericksburg, Va; a sister-in-law Aloha (Dick) Hanley of Arlington, and several nieces and nephews.