Seven Fairfax County Public Schools graduates from the class of 2009 have been named winners of college-sponsored scholarships by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Recipients of college-sponsored scholarships are:
* Joseph Huchette of Herndon High School (engineering), National Merit Rice University Scholarship.
* Athreya Tata of McLean High School (neurosurgery), National Merit Oberlin College Scholarship.
* Brian Pang of Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) (economics), National Merit Vanderbilt University Scholarship.
* Rishi Iyengar of TJHSST (medical research), National Merit Vanderbilt University Scholarship.
* Debjani Saha of TJHSST (neuroscience), National Merit New York University Scholarship.
* Michael Sanders of TJHSST (military service), National Merit University of Oklahoma Scholarship.
* Rutger Schneider of TJHSST (computer science), National Merit Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Scholarship.
College-sponsored Merit Scholarships provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship. Nationwide, approximately 8,300 students have won Merit Scholarship awards in 2009.
Adrian Martinez, the son of Frank and Roxana Martinez of Oak Hill, graduated from Randolph-Macon Academy. He was a member of the National Honor Society, and was presented the President’s Award for Academic Achievement. Martinez served the corps of cadets as a flight commander, and was a member of the varsity wrestling and track teams.
Jessica-Rose Wardley, the daughter of Charmain Wardley and Scott Criminski of Oak Hill, graduated from Randolph-Macon Academy. She was regularly named to the dean’s list, and achieved the honor again during the fourth quarter of her senior year. She was a member of the Academy chorus and earned the Outstanding Choral Musician Medal. Wardley was also a member of the varsity cheerleading, basketball, swimming and softball teams.
Herndon High School Cheerleaders are looking for new athletes. Contact Jenny Goff at CoachGoff.Cheer@Gmail.com or 703-966-6587. Important dates and forms:
* Emergency Care Card, Physical, and participation policy are due on Aug. 4 at 6 p.m.
* Aug. 4-10: Summer Cheer Conditioning from 6-8 p.m.
*Aug.11-13: Cheer tryouts, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Meet in HHS Aux. Gym. Bring water and a light snack. Wear a white t-shirt and black shorts. A Backhandspring is required for Varsity only. No tumbling is required for Freshmen and JV Cheerleading.
Evan Baltazar of Herndon has graduated from Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, Ga.
Jennifer Kammer of Herndon, a senior majoring in computer science in the College of Engineering, was recently inducted into the Virginia Tech chapter of Upsilon Pi Epsilon Honor Society.
Robert Snow of Herndon has been named to the spring 2009 dean's list at Frostburg State University, Frostburg, Md.
Joshua Chitsa of Herndon has received a master of business administration degree in management from Frostburg State University in Frostburg, Md.
Air Force Airman Mike S. Palatucci graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas. He is the son of Sal Palatucci of Pickett Lane in Herndon, and Kristine Palatucci of Bachan Court in Reston. Palatucci is a 2008 graduate of Herndon High School.