Accidental Fairfax Station House Fire
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire, Sunday, May 20, at approximately 11:20 p.m., in the Fairfax Station area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 10612 Hunting Shire Lane.
Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the front of the split foyer home upon arrival. Because of the scarcity of fire hydrants, the Incident Commander called for a tanker task force bringing several tankers to the fire scene, allowing firefighters to bring the fire under control. A water shuttle was planned and in place; however, the additional tankers provided the needed water to knock down the fire. The fire was brought under control in approximately 15 minutes. The fire originated the master bedroom of the home. Two adults and two children have been displaced. Smoke alarms activated allowing the family to escape without injury. Red Cross assistance was not necessary.
Damage is estimated at $150,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A computer plugged into a power strip cord caused the fire.