Accidental Townhouse Fire

Accidental Townhouse Fire

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire Sunday, May 27, at approximately 10 p.m. in the Alexandria area of Fairfax County. The townhouse is located at 4311 Gypsy Court.

Firefighters saw smoke and fire coming from the rear of the second floor deck extending up the outside of the home and into the attic area. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes.

Two adults and one child have been displaced. The family did not require assistance from the Red Cross. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $50,000.

The cause of the fire has been determined to be improperly disposed smoking material in a planter on the rear of the second story deck.