Accidental Clifton House Fire

Accidental Clifton House Fire

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Sunday, Sept. 7, at approximately 11:55 p.m., in the Clifton area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 12413 Old Yates Ford Road.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the first floor and front of the two-story home upon arrival. The incident commander requested a tanker task force because of the lack of nearby water hydrants in the area. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes. One of the occupants smelled smoke and alerted the other occupants. Two occupants were transported to the Washington Hospital Burn Center for non-life threatening injuries. All of the occupants have been displaced. Red Cross support was offered but declined by the occupants. A dog and two rabbits perished in the fire.

Damage is estimated at $250,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A malfunctioning portable air conditioner/humidifier in the dining area caused the fire.