Sprinkler Extinguishes Apartment Fire

Sprinkler Extinguishes Apartment Fire

— Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to an apartment fire, Tuesday, Aug. 28 at approximately 7:30 p.m. in the Fair Oaks area of Fairfax County. The garden apartment is located at 4104 Monument Court.

Firefighters reported an oil fire on the stove that had been extinguished by the 13R sprinkler system. The sprinkler was primarily responsible for extinguishing the fire. Firefighters checked for fire extension on the apartment of fire origin and adjacent units.

The two occupants were treated at the scene and transported to a local hospital with non-life threating injuries. One adult and one child are displaced. Red Cross assistance was declined.

The cause of the fire was accidental. Unattended food on the stove caused the fire.

In light of the fire’s cause, the fire department offers the following kitchen safety tips to local residents:

  • Have a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.

  • Wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when cooking. Long, loose sleeves are more likely to catch on fire or get caught on pot handles.

  • Keep things that can catch fire — such as dish towels, curtains or paper — at least three feet away from the stove.

  • Do not leave cooking food unattended. If it’s necessary to leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove.

  • Turn pot handles inward, facing the wall, to prevent burns caused by overturning or spills.

  • Pot holders or oven mitts prevent burns when handling hot dishes.

  • Regularly clean cooking equipment so it has no cooking materials, food items or grease accumulation on it.

  • Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not remove the lid until it’s completely cool.

  • If there’s an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning people and clothing. Have the oven serviced before using it again.