Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Monday, April 1, at approximately 7:35 p.m., in the Alexandria area of Fairfax County. The single family home is located at 3005 Marl-Pat Drive.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire in the basement of the split-level home upon arrival. Firefighters located the seat of the fire in the laundry room; however, the fire had already spread to the rear wall of the home. Firefighters brought the fire under control in less than 15 minutes.
Two adults and two children escaped the home unharmed prior to firefighters arriving. Red Cross support was offered but declined by the occupants. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $60,000.
According to the incident commander, the fire was accidental. The preliminary cause of the fire was an unidentified electrical source in the laundry room.