Fan Causes House Fire
Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department Units responded to a house fire Thursday, Aug. 20, at approximately 5:30 a.m., at 5205 Pole Road.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the two-story home upon arrival. The fire was contained to the living area on the first floor. The lone occupant was alerted to the fire by a sounding smoke alarm. The occupant sustained a non-life threatening injury when he jumped from the front porch roof on to the lawn. He was not transported to a medical facility. The occupant has been displaced; however, he has declined Red Cross support. There were no other injuries.
Damage is estimated at $25,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A malfunctioning box fan in the living room caused the fire.
Unattended Stove Causes Fire
Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department Units responded to a townhouse fire, Saturday, Aug. 22, at approximately 12:30 a.m., at 8077 Buckman Court.
Firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the two-story townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters forced entry into the home and conducted an interior fire attack. Despite firefighting efforts, the home suffered major damage; however, the fire was contained to a single townhouse. A neighbor reported the fire when smoke came from their kitchen sink. No one was home when the fire broke out. There were no working smoke alarms in the home. Two occupants have been displaced. Red Cross support was offered but declined by the occupants. There were no injuries.
The townhouse was a complete loss.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An unattended burner on a gas stovetop was left on and caused the fire.
Fire Damages Townhouse
Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department Units responded to a townhouse fire Saturday, A., 1, at approximately 4:40 p.m., at 8690 Walutes Circle.
Firefighters saw smoke coming from the first floor upon arrival. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire. One occupant was home when the fire started, but escaped unharmed. Three occupants have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the three occupants.
There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries. Damage is estimated at $93,750.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Combustibles too close to a heat source caused the fire.