The McLean Community Players have been nominated for seven Washington Area Community Honors (WATCH) for artistic and technical excellence in Community Theater. The McLean Community Players and its predecessors have been entertaining local audiences since 1964.
The players are in residence at the 383-seat Alden Theater, McLean Community Center, 1234 Ingleside Ave., McLean.
The Washington Area Theater Community Honors (WATCH) is the organization that adjudicates productions and presents annual awards recognizing artistic and technical excellence in Community Theater. The WATCH awards help to foster and encourage the growth of community theater. A total of 126 productions (43 musicals, 83 plays) were adjudicated in 2012 from which the nominations were developed.
The seven McLean Community Players nominations were for productions of "Deathtrap" and "Man of La Mancha." The WATCH awards will be announced at a ceremony at the Birchmere in Alexandria, on Sunday evening, March 13.
The McLean Community Players nominations included:
- Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play—"Deathtrap," Lois A. Stanziani as Helga ten Dorp
- Outstanding Light Design in a Play—"Deathtrap," Bob Zeigler
- Outstanding Properties in a Play—"Deathtrap," Emily Besuden, Jerry Gideon, Dick La Porte
- Outstanding Set Construction in a Play—"Deathtrap," Bernie Gmiter, Bob Schroth, Bill Glikbarg
- Outstanding Set Decoration in a Play—"Deathtrap," Dinnie Whitson, Cathy Farnsworth, Christine Whitson
- Outstanding Stage Combat Choreography—"Deathtrap," Carl Brandt Long
- Outstanding Stage Combat Choreography—"Man of La Mancha," Carl Brandt Long