News Brief: Humidifier Causes Fire

News Brief: Humidifier Causes Fire

Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire Wednesday, Nov. 18, at approximately 5:50 p.m., at 13605 Lavender Mist Lane.

Firefighters encountered smoke coming from the top floor of the three-story, middle unit townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire. A neighbor called 911 after hearing smoke alarms being activated inside the townhouse. No one was home when the fire broke out. The occupants have been displaced. Red Cross support was offered but declined by the occupants. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $37,500.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A malfunctioning humidifier in the third floor master bathroom caused the fire.