Chou Chou sings with her husband, Doc Scantlin.
Photo by Steve Hibbard.
See more Evenings on the Ellipse photos on Facebook.
Doc Scantlin and his Imperial Palms Orchestra entertained the crowd on Thursday, July 14 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. during an Evenings on the Ellipse concert on the grounds of the Fairfax County Government Center. The 34-year-old band played big-band favorites in hot, 95-degree temperatures to a thrilled crowd. During the concerts, two of Fairfax County's wineries -- Paradise Springs and Bull Run Winery -- provide generous tastings of their premium reds and whites. Bands perform for free on Thursdays from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center, in the back yard, located at 12000 Government Center Parkway in Fairfax. In case of rain, they go indoors. The schedule for the remaining of the summer is as follows:
- July 28 -- Caravan of Thieves (Gypsy Swing)
- August 4 -- Leonard, Coleman & Blunt (Motown)
- August 11 -- The Sixth Generation (1960s Rock)
- August 18 -- The United States Navy “Commodores” (Jazz)
- August 25 -- A Tribute to Simon and Garfunkel performed by Aztec Two-Step (Folk)