Dog Perishes in Fair Oaks Townhouse Fire

Dog Perishes in Fair Oaks Townhouse Fire

An early-evening fire in a Fair Oaks townhouse displaced one person and took the life of a dog. The blaze occurred Oct. 17, around 5:47 p.m., in the 12100 block of Wedgeway Court in the Penderbrook community.

First-arriving firefighters saw smoke coming from the front door of the two-story home and quickly extinguished a fire in the kitchen. Tragically, they also found the dog deceased. No one else was home at the time; a neighbor discovered the fire and called 911.

Fire investigators determined the fire was accidental and started on the stovetop. They say a burner was left on and ignited a coffee maker on the stove top. Damages were estimated at approximately $105,000.