Mount Vernon Brief: Lamp Causes Condo Fire

Mount Vernon Brief: Lamp Causes Condo Fire

Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse condominium fire Wednesday, Nov. 11, at 8642 Village Square Drive.

Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the two-story, end unit home upon arrival. Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control. The occupants were not at home when the fire broke out. The home had a working smoke alarm. Three adults and two children have been displaced. Support is being provided by Red Cross. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $93,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A lamp in a second floor bedroom fell over and ignited combustible materials causing the fire.