Electrical Outlet Failure Causes Fire in Centreville

Electrical Outlet Failure Causes Fire in Centreville

On Saturday, Feb. 2, at approximately 2:15 p.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, the City of Fairfax Fire Department, and Prince William County Fire and Rescue Department were dispatched for a reported townhouse fire in the 14100 block of Starbird Court in Centreville.

Units arrived on scene of a two-story, middle unit townhouse to find smoke showing. Crews forced entry into the home and located a fire in the kitchen. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries reported.

The fire was discovered by a neighbor, who observed smoke coming from the windows of the home and called 9-1-1. Smoke alarms were present and had sounded upon the arrival of the fire department.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the kitchen. The fire was caused by a failure within an electrical outlet.

Two occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $93,750.