Senate District 31 Incumbent
Town of residence: Arlington
Family: Married to Doug Weik with one son, Donald Patrick
Education: BS, Saint Joseph College in West Hartford, CT 1977; MPA, New York University, New York, NY 1980
Offices held, dates: Arlington County Board Member 1997 through 2011; VA State Senator 2011 to 2015
Occupation and relevant experience: Government Relations and Community Outreach Consultant
Community involvement: Board Member of: Child & Family Network Centers, Arlington YMCA, Culpepper Garden, Fairfax Court Appointed Special Advocate Program and the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind
Twitter handle: @BarbaraFavola
Name three favorite endorsements: Virginia Education Association; League of Conservation Voters and NARAL
1.What is one issue that defines your call to serve, why does it matter, and how will you tackle it?
The need to provide each child with a quality education is the issue that calls me to service. I will work on increasing State funding for early childhood education, for K-12 services and for early special education programs.
- What distinguishes you from your opponent(s) and why should voters choose you?
I bring nearly 20 years of compassionate effective leadership. I served on the Arlington County Board for 14 years and I just completed a 4-year term in the State Senate. As a freshman senator, I passed over 20 bills and I continue to remain active in the community. My opponent moved to the district one year ago.
- Given the political makeup of the state legislature, what examples from your own experience suggest you can successfully bridge the intense partisan differences there?
The fact that I successfully passed important pieces of legislation is an indication that I can effectively work across party lines.
- In order, list your top 5 specific legislative priorities.
Improving K-12 Education, Investing in Pre-School, Participating in Medicaid Expansion, Improving Workforce Training and better funding Higher Education.
- How has your district changed in the last 10 years? What caused those changes?
My district has become increasingly diverse and the public school systems in Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun are struggling to ensure that high school graduation rates remain high and that higher education options are available to everyone.
- Will you support legislation restricting high interest lending including car title loans?
- Will you support funding for Fostering Connections which would result in an influx of federal funding for foster children aging out of foster care?
Yes. I have introduced this legislation for the past three years. In 2014, the General Assembly passed authorizing legislation to permit Virginia's participation. However, State funding was not made available. I am working with Governor McAuliffe to include this program in his budget.
- Do you support expansion of Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, and if so, what would you do to make that happen?
Absolutely! I have been working to make Medicaid Expansion a reality in the Commonwealth for the past three years. I will work to build a strong coalition of support that includes Republican leaning organizations.